Pop the Wave! HOKUSAI～北斎～Wave pop art workshop with Rie Takeda
Artist and calligrapher Rie Takeda will introduce her popular pop-it-up themed art workshops to the Hyper Japan community.
In this workshop, you will be creating and transforming the well-known image of the Japanese Ukiyoe print - the famous ‘Hokusai’s wave’ into the pop style. Using vivid colours, neon lines and dots. Be playful, creative and pop up your imagination!
For this workshop, you can use the materials and utensils you’ve got at home. A template and necessary links for your pop up Hokusai will be provided prior to the wokshop.
Date: 18th April 2021, Sunday
Time: 14:00-17:00 ( 3 hours lesson,10 minutes break in between)
Instructor's profile: Rie Takeda ( click name to open the instructor's page)
Online tool: ZOOM (link will be sent to you after your purchase**)
- £40 - Single person ticket
Ticket sales will close at 5pm on 16th April 2021, Friday.
Precautions: Suitable for all ages and beginners. (under 8 years old may need adult supervision) No art /crafty experience necessary.
Please read the Terms carefully and make sure that you understand them before you submit your form.
**If you don't receive any information one day before the class, please send an email here: email@example.com
* Images of the art you'll create during the workshop.
Please be prepared 10 minutes before the workshop starts.
- Welcome/Meet and greet. Introduction to Hokusai’s wave (Under the Wave off Kanagawa) and interpretations + variations of the wave in design and style.
- Sketching the inspiration, style direction and choosing the main colours.
- Using colour pencils, your choice of colour
- Demonstration of how to japanize the prime colours and combine them into the composition
- Colouring+ process
- Out-lining and dots
- Fine-tuning + creating the title + adding the name (plus stamp)
- Finissage presentation
- Q&A time
Equipment needed for the workshop
Please prepare all the equipment listed below by yourself before the workshop starts.
- Water based paint (water colour, gouache)
- One or two Neon paint (ideally water based/ 3D effect paint)
- Sumi – Japanese calligraphy – ink (if you haven’t got, water based black colour)
- Watercolor paper (+- 200mg to print the template)
- Colour pencils for sketching
- Brushes – various types (flat, medium, small, thin etc)
- Template – you will be provided prior to the workshop
- Some Kitchen towel or tissue papers
A template and necessary links for your pop up Hokusai will be provided prior to the workshop. You can then print it out on thicker paper at home or hand draw on a paper, if you do not have a printer, prior to the workshop.
* Image of the equipment you will need for the workshop
* Image of Rie's on-site workshops