Create your own Hokusai Rainbow FUJI
Artist and calligrapher Rie Takeda will introduce her popular themed art workshops to the HYPER JAPAN community.
In this workshop, Rie will talk about the famous Hokusai’s Mt. Fuji (36 views of Mount Fuji/ Back of a Wave on the Open Sea off Kanagawa 1813-1834) and interpretations + variations of Mt. Fuji in the design.
Then you will sketch the layout of the work in freehand style, create and transform the well-known image of the famous ‘Hokusai’s Mt. Fuji into your own Pride pop style using your inspiration and the vivid Pride six colours.
She will share some techniques and tips to draw detailed motives and flowing clouds to honour the original Hokusai’s painting, yet it is up to your own imagination, designs and patterns to transform Mt Fuji into the one and only Rainbow Fuji Hokusai art.
The meanings of the Pride six colours are, Red for Life, Orange for Healing, Yellow for Sunlight, Green for Nature, Blue for Harmony and Violet for Spirit.
Let’s be creative and mindful, and experiment with rainbow colours!
Date: 12th June 2021, Saturday
Time: 14:00-16:30 ( 2.5 hours lesson,10 minutes break in between)
Instructor's profile: Rie Takeda ( click name to open the instructor's page)
Online tool: ZOOM (link will be sent to you after your purchase**)
- £30 - Single person ticket
- £45 - DUO ticket - 2 person to join with 1 access
Ticket sales will close at 5pm on 11th June 2021, Friday.
Precautions: Suitable for all ages and beginners. (under 8 years old may need adult supervision) No art /crafty experience necessary.
Please read the Terms carefully and make sure that you understand them before you submit your form.
**If you don't receive any information one day before the class, please send an email here: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Images of the art you'll create during the workshop.
Please be prepared 10 minutes before the workshop starts.
- Welcome/Meet and greet. Introduction to Hokusai’s Mt.Fuji (36 views of Mount Fuji/ Back of a Wave on the Open Sea off Kanagawa 1813-1834) and interpretations + variations of Mt.Fuji in design.
- Sketching the composition and choosing the main rainbow colours.
Presenting the symbolism of pride colours
- Using colour pencils, your choice of colour and tone
- Demonstration of how to tone the colours
- Colouring+ process
- Layering + adding detailed patterns and strokes
- Fine lining and shading
- Highlighting the white parts
- Fine-tuning + creating the title + adding the name (plus stamp)
- Finissage presentation
- Q&A time
Equipment needed for the workshop
Please prepare all the equipment listed below by yourself before the workshop starts.
- Water based paint (water colour, gouache, gansai) ( if you want, use the Neon paint *ideally water based)
- Fine liner pen/ brush pen (Fudepen)/ thin felt pen in black
- White ink paint or pen, maker for highlighting/finetuning
- Watercolor/Gouache paper (+- 200mg to sketch by or print the template *please check your printer setting)
- Colour pencils for sketching
- Brushes – various types (flat, medium, small, thin etc)
- Some Kitchen towel or tissue papers
Necessary links for your pop up Hokusai will be provided prior to the workshop.
* Image of the equipment you will need for the workshop
* Image of Rie's on-site workshop and her online workshop at HYPER JAPAN