”Sado－茶道” ( Japanese Tea Ceremony ) online workshop: Series 1 (90 min x 3 lessons) with Yuko Boff
Long used to welcome honoured guests and mark significant occasions, the ancient Japanese Tea Ceremony involves much more than preparing and serving tea. Sometimes known as the Way of Tea, it brings together many elements of Japanese culture, art and nature.
Yuko Kobayashi Boff is a member and lecturer of the “Omotesenke” Tea School and currently practices both in Japan and London. In this workshop she will introduce you to one particular style: Ryurei-shiki. Originally introduced to welcome foreigners, it uses a table and chair. She will present and demonstrate some of the procedures and utensils we use, teach you how to attend a Tea Ceremony as either guest or host, and discuss the concepts which underlie the Way of Tea.
Join Yuko and find out how the Tea Ceremony offers a tranquil and beautiful space to clear the mind and soothe the soul.
Dates for Series 1 ( 90min x 3 lessons):
- Day 1: 16th January 2021, Saturday
- Day 2: 30th January 2021, Saturday
- Day 3 : 13th February 2021, Saturday
Time: 14:00 - 15:30 ( 1.5 hours lesson each day)
Instructor's profile: Yuko Boff
Online tool: ZOOM (link will be sent to you after your purchase**)
- £60 - Single person ticket to participate all 3 lesson of Series 1
Ticket sales will close at 5pm on 15th January 2021, Friday.
Precautions: Over 18 years old, suitable for beginners.
Please read the Terms carefully and make sure that you understand them before you submit your form.
**If you don't receive any information one day before the class, please send an email here: email@example.com
Please be prepared 10 minutes before the workshop starts.
In each session, Yuko will demonstrate the tea ceremony and you will learn how to use equipment. By the end of the 3rd session, you will know how to make tea on your own.
- Introduction and presentation of the Tea Ceremony
- Outline of history
- Attending the Tea Ceremony as a guest
- Kimono and the Tea Ceremony
- Importance of nature and the seasons in the Tea Ceremony
- How to make Tea the Japanese way
- Introducing the Tea Box and Tea Basket
Yuko will have Q&A time in each session.
Equipment needed for the class
Please prepare this equipment by yourself before the workshop starts.
- "茶碗: Cha-wan" (tea bowl or a deep bowl)
- "茶筅: Cha-sen" (tea whisk)
- ”茶杓: Cha-shaku" (tea scoop or any spoon)
- "抹茶: Maccha" ( ceremonial grade green tea powder)
- Any kind of sweets of your choice: chocolates, biscuits, dates etc.
* Image of equipment you will need for the workshop ( from left to right: 1. Tea Bowl, 2. Tea Whisk and 3 Tea Scoop.)